President Donald Trump on Tuesday is set to announce a $400-million initiative to make roadways safer, including investing in technology and other measures to reduce crashes.
Trump, in an address to a joint session of Congress, is expected to sign the initiative into law as early as Wednesday, according to a White House official.
The president, who has pledged to make America the safest place on earth, has long said that cars should be banned from public roads.
The announcement follows the White House’s decision in March to temporarily suspend the federal government’s rules on allowing vehicles to drive on public roads, a move that was met with strong opposition from the auto industry.
But Trump said last month that he would let the rules stand until he decided whether he wanted to relax them.
“We are taking action on safety.
That’s what we do.
We’ve got to do it,” Trump said at the time.
The White House and the Department of Transportation have not yet released details about how much money the initiative will be able to raise.
The effort comes amid a spike in traffic fatalities, including a rise in crashes caused by people driving while intoxicated.